Palace: RevGov proposal is incomprehensible

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email
Spread the love

Malacañang explained President Rodrigo Duterte’s recent suggestion on public discussion for revolutionary government, saying that he was simply advocating for a “free marketplace of ideas.”

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the president is not advocating for a change in government now.

“Well I think it’s because of his dedication to the free marketplace of ideas,” Roque explained the chief executive’s remark. “If there are those who feel there’s a need for a revolutionary government, they should be heard in a public debate, in a public discussion of the issue.”

In his address to the nation on Monday, the President said he wanted the proposal to be discussed publicly— and not in “sub rosa” or secrecy.

“But as far as his personal conviction is concerned, he was clear: he does not need a revolutionary government because it’s a constitutional government,” Roque added. “He will finish his term and go home to Davao.”

A group called the Mayor Rodrigo Roa Duterte-National Executive Coordinating Committee launched a people’s initiative to establish a revolutionary government and fast-track federalism before the President’s term ends in 2022. Critics have raised alarms at the illegality of such actions and urged the government to put a stop to it.

No discussions of constitutional amendments in the Senate and House of Representatives have been done so far. Lawmakers gave their word that they will make COVID-19 pandemic response their top priority above all.

Roque himself believe that said proposal is “strange” and “incomprehensible,” even calling it unconstitutional.

“In fairness, I don’t know what they want.” Roque said. “They claim to be supporters of the President, so why would they want to unseat a constitutional president? So I find it strange, the whole exercise to me is incomprehensible.”

LATEST NEWS

TRENDING NEWS