Duque ready to take first shot of COVID-19 after its evaluation

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email
Spread the love

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said yes to a lawmaker’s challenge of taking the first dose of COVID-19 vaccine that will be available in the country so he could prove its safety and effectiveness to Filipinos.

However, the health chief will only agree only after the vaccines have been evaluated.

“Sure, I will have myself vaccinated once the Vaccine Expert Panel of the DOST and FDA’s regulatory and technical evaluation determine the safety quality and effectiveness of the vaccines,” Duque said.

Senator Christopher “Bong” Go earlier challenged Duque and vaccine czar Carlito Galvez Jr. to take the first shots of the anti-coronavirus drug to encourage Filipinos to avail of the vaccines once they become ready next year.

So far, the Philippine government has secured 2.6 million doses of AstraZeneca’s vaccine through the help of private sector donations, with its application already forwarded to the FDA for its final approval.

The country is also projected to receive doses from China’s Sinovac and Russia’s Gamaleya Institute as early as the first quarter of 2021 amid “advanced” supply negotiations.

According to the Budget Department, the Philippines is ready to spend more than ₱73 billion to vaccinate 60 million Filipinos.

PBBM wants closer collaboration with Japan

Spread the love

Spread the loveMANILA — President Marcos on Wednesday vowed to push for stronger collaboration with Japan in key areas such as agriculture and

Gov’t appeals ICC ruling on drug probe

Spread the love

Spread the loveMANILA — The Philippine government has asked the International Criminal Court (ICC) to suspend the preliminary investigation into the alleged crimes

LATEST NEWS

TRENDING NEWS