Solicitor General Jose Calida’s plea to cancel the Supreme Court oral arguments on the anti-terror law was rejected by the high court and ordered that the hearing will proceed on Tuesday, February 2
The Supreme Court (SC) earlier announced that it was postponing the oral arguments from its original schedule on January 19 to February 2 because Calida’s assistant solicitors general had tested positive for coronavirus.
However, it turned out that Calida had asked for cancelation of the oral arguments, not just postponement, citing psychological trauma from the having the COVID-19 virus.
“This Honorable Court is invited to go beyond the biological impact of COVID-19 on the affected Assistant Solicitors General, but on the psychological trauma which COVID-19 wrenches on the other solicitors preparing for the oral arguments as well,” said Calida in the motion filed on January 14.
Last year, Calida had also attempted to cancel the oral arguments, saying that gathering a number of people during a pandemic would pose a risk to their health. Calida also said that if the oral arguments were to be held online, internet connectivity might be a problem.