Amid the surge of COVID-19 infections in the country, Malacañang announced that all Filipinos will be allowed to return to the Philippines, contrary to their earlier decision to let only overseas Filipino workers to fly back home.
“Lahat ng Filipino citizens, whether returning overseas Filipinos o overseas Filipino workers, ay pinapayagang makabalik ng Pilipinas,” said Palace spokesperson Harry Roque.
Despite this policy, National Task Force on COVID-19 spokesman Restituto Padilla, appealed to overseas Filipinos to put off their plans to fly back to the Philippines. t
“Ang ating abiso ay ipagpaliban n’yo na lang po ‘yung pagbiyahe para makatulong sa ginagawa nating hakbang para mapigilan ‘yung pagpasok ng new variants,” Padilla said in an interview.
Earlier this week, the national COVID-19 task force said that foreign citizens and returning nationals who are not overseas workers will not be permitted to enter the country from March 20 until April 19.
Roque clarified however that foreigners would still be barred from entering the country effective March 22, 12:01 a.m. until April 21, 11:59 p.m.