Malacañang announced Monday that President Rodrigo Duterte will no longer physically attend any welcoming ceremony for other vaccines that will arrive in the Philippines.
Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said in a briefing that Duterte assumes that a steady supply of vaccines to the country is already underway.
“Inaasahan naman niyang sunud-sunod na yung pagdating. Kumbaga it’s a matter of course na marami nang darating as supplies ease up worldwide,” said Roque.
“Hindi na siya pupunta physically sa airport para salubungin yung ibang bakuna,” he added.
The President was last seen personally welcoming the arrival of COVID-19 vaccines worth ₱700 million from Chinese drug manufacturer Sinovac Biotech on March 29. It was the first batch of vaccines purchased by the government.
Duterte also previously welcomed the arrival of the first shipment of the donated Sinovac jabs last February 28, and the initial batch of vaccines from British-Swedish firm AstraZeneca on March 4.