‘Odette’-hit areas to receive 756K rice packs from China

Spread the love

MANILA – As the Chinese government on Wednesday turned over 150,000 sacks of rice to the Philippine government, more relief packs are on their way to typhoon-hit Visayas and Mindanao.

The 4,725 metric tons of products bring the total rice donation to the country to 10,000 metric tons, which came as the Philippines began relief efforts in the aftermath of Typhoon Odette, which hit the country last week.

“The arrival of this China rice is so timely that we could use them in the repacking of food packs for the victims of Typhoon Odette. On behalf of the Philippine government, we express our heartfelt gratitude to the people of the People’s Republic of China for their generosity and untiring support to the Philippines,” Social Welfare and Development Director Emmanuel Privado said during the turnover in Pasay.

The rice donation is expected to help at least 756,000 families, as it will be included in government food packs that will be distributed in Siargao, Dinagat Islands, Cebu, Bohol, Negros Oriental and Occidental, Bacolod, Iloilo, and Palawan.

According to Chinese Ambassador Huang Xilian, who formally handed over the rice supplies, at least 1,500 metric tons (MT) of the donation are already in Cebu, while 3,225 MT are in Manila and ready for urgent deployment.

“I am relieved to see that in response to the disaster, the Philippine government and people have promptly launched orderly and efficient rescue and relief operations. I look forward to the China-aided rice playing its role in the relief,” he said.

The super typhoon has affected over 1.3 million people in Mimaropa, Bicol, Western Visayas, Central Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Northern Mindanao, Davao, Soccsksargen, and Caraga regions, as well as the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.

Transportation, according to Privado, remained an issue in reaching the typhoon victims, but more than 20 trucks carrying 1,000 to 1,400 food packs each were in transit to various places in the Visayas and Mindanao.

“Ngayon talaga nagpi-pile ang trucks sa ports (Right now trucks piled up in ports). But our deliveries are continuous,” he said in an interview.

On Wednesday morning, three trucks bound for Bohol and Dumaguete left the Department of Social Welfare and Development’s National Resource Operations Center in Pasay. 

House committees to hold hearings during break

Spread the love

Spread the loveMANILA – The House of Representatives has authorized for its committees to conduct hearings during the five-week congressional break, extending until late April.

LATEST NEWS

TRENDING NEWS