President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday night reported the latest casualties of his administration’s crackdown on corrupt government officials and employees.
According to the president, some 800 officials and workers have been dismissed from the service due to their involvement in anomalous activities, noting that he will continue to “go after government officials and workers who are into graft and corruption.”
Duterte said the sacked officials and workers faced administrative cases.
“Pa dating sa Ombudsman, the Ombudsman if he finds na tama na ‘yung ginawa sa administrative case, so we will file the corresponding criminal charge,” he said.
The Office of the Ombudsman is tasked to investigate and prosecute Philippine government officials accused of crimes, especially involving graft and corruption.
“So dalawa ang harapin mo, dismissal from the service, wala ka nang trabaho. Tapos makulong ka.”
The president is expected to identify more people involved in illegal activities in the government next week.
Late last month, the President directed the Department of Justice to investigate the “entire government” for corruption.
Duterte also informed his Cabinet members during the meeting that he received a list of names of “corrupt” congressmen from the Commissioner Greco Belgica of the Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC).
The president however went into an explanation on why he cannot investigate the lawmakers.
“Alam mo, let’s go to political law. I have no business investigating congressmen. They belong to a separate organ of government which is co-equal with the president pati ang Supreme Court,” Duterte said.
“Ngayon kung itapon mo sa akin, I have no other recourse, itapon ko din ‘yan sa Ombudsman,” he added, referring to Belgica’s list.
[If you pass that to me, I have no other recourse but to pass it on to the Office of the Ombudsman.]
He also explained that he cannot publicize the said list as lawmakers belong to a different branch.